Table of Contents
- Understand How to Use Enhanced Security
- Locking & Unlocking with the App
- If Your Car Battery Dies...
- Uninstall the Connect Before Delisting the Car
- Tell Your Mechanic About the Device
The Generation 4 Harness is the latest iteration of Getaround’s Connect security technology and the result of Getaround’s dedication to keeping carsharing safe and convenient.
Your new upgrade was designed with improved car security in mind.
With the new Generation 4 Harness, your Getaround experience will remain almost completely unchanged, but it’s important to remember a few key points...
1. Understand How to Use Enhanced Security
To benefit from this new upgrade, you must turn on Enhanced Security (ES). ES is a feature that immobilizes your car when it’s not being used.
When ES is activated, it prevents your car from being started. After unlocking the car with the app, the car will start as normal.
ES is strongly recommended for most cars listed on Getaround®. In a few cases, such as when the car’s home location is a valet-accessed garage, ES should not be activated.
You can check your Enhanced Security setting anytime using the Getaround® desktop site (but not the app).
- Simply click “Manage” on the car you need to check.
- Then click “Connect” on the left side of the screen.
- Now make sure to check the box that reads “Turn on Getaround Connect enhanced security.”
Remember: If Enhanced Security isn’t turned on, your car will not be immobilized!
2. Locking & Unlocking with the App
Remember to lock and unlock the car using the app whenever you want to drive it. For Getaround Guests, Enhanced Security interacts automatically and seamlessly with our booking system so that you don’t need to manually lock or unlock your car for Getaround trips.
When you send an “Unlock” command...
When you send a “Lock” command...
3. If Your Car Battery Dies...
If the car battery dies, then the Connect dies, too. You’ll need to bring it back online before you can jump-start the car. To do this, follow these four steps.
- Connect jumper cables or a jump pack to the car battery.
- Wait about 2 minutes for the Connect to restart and come online.
Send an “Unlock” command with the app.
Now you can jump-start the car as normal.
4. Uninstall the Connect Before Delisting a Car
Whether you’re moving out of the area, selling your car, or delisting for any other reason, it’s always important to schedule an uninstall appointment for Connect.
With your upgraded harness’s enhanced immobilization capabilities it’s especially important to uninstall the Connect device before a car leaves the Getaround platform.
5. Tell Your Mechanic About the Device
As always, make sure your dealer, mechanic, or garage is aware of the Connect device’s immobilization capabilities. The device may need to be uninstalled before a mechanic can work on any starter-related issues.