Car sharing and Gas
In an effort to provide the best car sharing experience for everyone, we require Guests to replace any fuel used during the trip. In the event that gas is not properly refilled before the car is returned, the guest will be charged for the cost of gas at a per-market rate (an additional Fuel Fee may also be charged at Getaround's sole discretion), which can be seen in the app at the start of your trip.
If you have booked a "Drive with Uber" or "Rideshare" trip, please see this Help Center Article for the appropriate Fuel Policy.
Other Forms of Fuel
If you are sharing a vehicle that uses electricity rather than gasoline or diesel, be sure to return it at the end of your trip with just as much charge as you picked it up. Any Supercharger costs will be charged to the host's method of payment and passed along after your trip.
Here are a couple of tips that can help refueling go smoothly:
- Make sure you've taken a photo of the fuel gauge as a part of your pre-trip and post-trip inspection in the Getaround app. You will be prompted for this when you click to begin and end your trip
- Find a gas station near the return location before you leave so you can best plan your return.
- When booking your trip, it helps to allocate 15 minutes in the end to refill gas, or longer if you're sharing an Electric Vehicle (EV). You might not need all that time, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
- If you feel that you're incorrectly charged with missing fuel, you can report it on the app and it will generate a Fuel Dispute Ticket. Please submit proof of refueling within 14 days from the time a guest ended the trip:
- A fuel receipt showing the time, date, location, amount, and service station name.
- A time-stamped photo of the fuel gauge at the end of the trip