Cars must be returned to their ‘home location’ at the end of each trip, improper return fee. Any trip that ends with an improperly returned car will result in a $50
If a car’s home location is a designated private parking spot it must be returned to the same spot according to the instructions listed in the Getaround app for that specific car.
If the home location was street parking it must be parked within .25 miles of the listed address. The Getaround app will display a colored circle within this radius when returning the car.
Each renter is responsible for following the instructions in the app when returning a vehicle at the end of your trip. Renters also responsible for:
- Parking in a legal space safe from any parking restrictions for 24 hours after the trip’s end time (if the car is street-parked and doesn't have a dedicated parking spot);
- Parking within a .25 mile radius of the listed home location (if the car is street-parked and doesn't have a dedicated parking spot);
- Curbing the car’s wheels (if applicable);
- Returning the key to the sun visor organizer or lockbox as indicated by the car’s Pickup Instructions;
- Locking and securing the car’s doors and windows;
- Replacing the fuel used during a trip.
When a car is returned negligently or improperly, this causes an inconvenience for its next driver. These instances and any others where a renter returns a car negligently and/or improperly may result in a $50 improper return fee at Getaround’s sole discretion.
A car may be considered to be improperly returned in the following circumstances:
- Car is not parked legally for 24 hours after the trip’s end time;
- Car is parked farther than .25 miles from its listed home location (if street-parked without a dedicated parking spot);
- Car is parked blocking a driveway;
- Car’s wheels are not curbed (if applicable);
- Car’s garage/parking card was lost as a result of the trip;
- Car’s lights or electronics are left on, resulting in a dead battery.
If something out of your control is preventing you from returning a car properly at the end of your trip, call us through the "help" menu option and we’ll be happy to do our best to help!
You are solely liable for the highest amount of any parking tickets, traffic citations, tow and impound fees, and other infractions and violations that occur during and subsequent to your trip, and all fees resulting from such violations, per Getaround policy. It is your responsibility to pay these fees in a timely manner and to comply with all legal obligations that arise from such violations.
For more information about citations, check out How Are Parking And Traffic Tickets Handled? in our Help Center.