How do I know if I have booked an Electric Vehicle (EV)?
- All Electric Vehicles on the platform will be “Badged” in their initial photo with the term “Electric Vehicle”. This will be an easy identifier to ensure that you are comfortable booking an Electric Vehicle and not booking it by accident.
An example of an EV badge
How can I ensure that I am knowledgeable about Electric Vehicles (EVs)? Are there any resources available to help me operate an EV correctly?
- The primary source for educating guests on the specific Electric Vehicle will be in the Vehicle Specific notes section. This section should include some best practices for the EV for your upcoming trip. Here is some information you may find in the notes section regarding EVs:
- OEM Suggested Range at a full charge
- When the Host suggests you start looking for a charging location (X Charge %)
- The Host’s recommended charging location-specific to this car’s home location.
- Any additional notes on operational optimization
Additionally, you can download helpful apps, like Plugshare.
What if I run out of charge during my trip?
- Electric Vehicles present challenges for guests who are not yet knowledgeable about EVs.
- In this scenario, you can request a mobile charging service at your expense, or follow our roadside assistance process for additional help.
- If you decide to follow our typical roadside assistance processes, depending on the location and vendor availability, the car could be charged via mobile charger or towed based on each specific situation. If towed, the vehicle will be towed to the nearest charging station if the trip duration is long enough to continue afterward. If at the end of a trip, the vehicle will be towed to the Host’s designated destination.
- Please note that roadside assistance may incur additional costs unless you have purchased a Premium or Plus Protection Plan.
How does the charging process work, and how do I ensure an appropriate charge level upon returning the car? How will I know what the charge level is at the beginning and end of my trip? What happens if my Electric Vehicle is returned without sufficient charge levels?
- For Electric Vehicles, you will be required to take a picture of the Charge Percentage as a part of the Pre-trip and Post-trip inspection.
- Guests must return Electric Vehicles with at least a 70% charge level. Anything below that level will be subject to a “low-fuel” charge of $25.
- Failure by a guest to submit a proper photograph as a part of the inspection will also result in being responsible for the “low-fuel” charge.
- The vehicle notes should have an outline of the charging process, like charging duration, preferred location, and even helpful hints, videos, and apps to utilize during your trip to help ease the return process.
How long does the charging process take? Will I need to book a longer trip?
- The charging process can take some time. Most EV trips will have a minimum trip duration of at least 6 hours to ensure that the trip is a long enough duration for you to have time to charge the vehicle if necessary.