How do I know if my Electric Vehicle is eligible to be listed on Getaround?
- For an Electric Vehicle to be listed on the Getaround platform, it must meet the vehicle requirements listed here.
Once I’ve confirmed the car is eligible, are there any additional requirements for listing an Electric Vehicle?
- Because of the differences between an Electric Vehicle and a standard Internal Combustion Engine vehicle, we have implemented a few additional requirements to list your vehicle on the Getaround platform. These additional requirements are designed to ensure a quality experience for you and your guest.
- Recommended Home Location - Because of unique needs for towing (EV front end weight) and the relative scarcity of charging locations as opposed to gas stations, Hosts must identify a set location for the car to be towed in case of breakdown or complete discharge of the electric drive battery. In these situations, our dedicated roadside team needs to know exactly where to have the car towed to ensure the swiftest possible resolution. This location should have a charging facility compatible with the car.
How can I ensure guests are knowledgeable about Electric Vehicles? Are there any resources I can provide to help guests operate my vehicle correctly?
- The primary source for educating guests on your specific Electric Vehicle will be in the Vehicle Specific notes section. This is your opportunity to educate a guest on some best practices with your vehicle for their upcoming trip. Below are some suggestions on what to include in your Electric Vehicle notes, on top of our normal car notes suggestions.
- OEM Suggested Range at a full charge
- Minimum charge level beyond which a guest should start looking for a charging location (X Charge %)
- Your recommended charging location specific to this car’s home location.
- Any additional notes on range maximization (heat/ac usage, regenerative braking, etc)
- See this suggested template for Electric Vehicle notes to begin building your guests’ knowledge.
- All Electric Vehicles on the platform will be “Badged” in their initial photo with the term “Electric Vehicle”. This will be an easy identifier to ensure a guest who is reserving your car is comfortable with an Electric Vehicle, and not booking it by accident.
- Additionally, you can recommend a Guest download helpful apps like Plugshare or link helpful videos on how to operate an Electric Vehicle at your discretion.
What happens if a guest runs out of charge during their trip?
- Electric Vehicles present challenges for guests who are not yet knowledgeable about EVs.
- In this scenario, a guest can request a mobile charging service at their discretion, and expense or use a level one charger if applicable. Additionally, a Guest can follow our roadside assistance process for additional help.
- If a guest follows our typical roadside assistance processes, depending on the location, situation, and vendor availability, the car could be charged via mobile charger or towed. If towed, the vehicle will be brought to the nearest charging station if the trip duration is long enough to continue afterward. If at the end of a trip, the vehicle will be towed to your designated destination.
- Tows will be charged directly to the guest, and any impacted future reservations will follow our typical process for reimbursement regarding guest-initiated delays.
How will guests understand the charging process and ensure an appropriate charge level upon returning the car? How will I know what the charge level is for a guest at the beginning and end of their trips? What happens if my Electric Vehicle is returned without sufficient charge levels?
- For Electric Vehicles, guests will be required to take a picture of the Charge Percentage as a part of the Pre-trip and Post-trip inspection. Guests must return Electric Vehicles with at least a 70% charge level. Anything below that level will be subject to a “low-fuel” reimbursement, and failure by a guest to submit a proper photograph as a part of the inspection will also result in responsibility for the “low-fuel” charge.
- Your vehicle notes will be a great place for you to educate a guest on the charging process. You can outline the typical charging duration, your preferred location, and even helpful links, videos or apps for guests to utilize during their trip.
How can I ensure that a guest understands the time it takes to charge an electric vehicle? Do I have any way to ensure that a guest books a long enough trip to allow for charging?
- We strongly recommend that you set your minimum trip duration of 6 hours for your electric vehicles. This will ensure that most trips are for a long enough duration that guests will have time to charge a vehicle if necessary.
- Your vehicle notes section is a great place to call out what a guest should expect in the charging process, recommend locations, and even provide links to helpful sites or applications.
What happens if my Electric Vehicle is returned to the wrong location?
- If your Electric Vehicle is abandoned or returned to the wrong location, we will follow our normal processes for improper returns. However, if the vehicle is broken down or has a dead battery and needs a tow, it will be delivered to the specific location you have chosen for drop-off by the roadside recovery vendor.